The complete care system for thoroughly cleaning, enhancing water repellency, and revitalizing the breathability of softshell clothing. Easy to use in your washing machine and by hand, non-flammable and PFC free.
For cleaning and waterproofing softshell clothing
Tech Wash and Softshell Proof available as a DUO-Pack
Tech Wash cleans, restores water repellency and revives breathability of your outdoor clothing and synthetic sleeping bags
Softshell Proof wash-in is an easy to use, high performance waterproofer which adds water repellency and revives breathability without the need for tumble drying.
Together they enhance the performance of your gear, and extend its useful life.
- Read more Read less
How to use:
All you need to clean, revitalize breathability and add water repellency to all softshell clothing.
Both easy to apply in the washing machine or by hand. Nikwax products are all environmentally friendly; they are water-based, PFC-free and have never used any harmful aerosols..
Why breathability depends upon water repellency…
Breathable waterproof garments are most likely to get sweaty and wet inside when used in damp or wet conditions. If the outer fabric absorbs water, the garment can lose up to 70% of its breathability. Therefore, the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) on the outer fabric of your jacket must be maintained to ensure comfort. It will eventually wear off and need to be renewed with Nikwax Softshell Proof.
Waterproof clothing needs to be breathable…
When we work hard, we sweat. The evaporation of sweat cools us down and keeps us comfortable. But, when it rains we want to avoid getting wet, so we put on waterproof outerwear to keep us dry. The waterproof fabric must allow moisture vapor to pass through it, or 'breathe'; otherwise our sweat cannot evaporate, causing us to overheat and get wet from condensation.
Additionally, if the outer fabric of your garment absorbs water and ‘wets out’ its breathability will be reduced, causing you to feel clammy and wet.
Use Tech Wash and Softshell Proof when your softshell clothing soaks up water
Your softshell could be soaking up water just because it is dirty. Use Nikwax Tech Wash to clean it, and if it is fairly new, or recently re-waterproofed, the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) will be revitalized just from cleaning. But, once the garment has been thoroughly worn, you will need to add DWR, using Nikwax Softshell Proof, awlays cleaning first with Nikwax Tech Wash.
Cleaning properly can be as important as waterproofing…
Using the right cleaning product is as important as using the right waterproofing product. Conventional detergents leave behind a thin water-absorbent film on materials, which masks their Durable Water Repellency (DWR). Therefore, always clean your waterproof garments with Nikwax Tech Wash. Remember that dirt itself works against DWR, so regular cleaning will enhance performance.
How Tech Wash and Softshell work
Nikwax Tech Wash and Softshell Proof are market leading products. They have been specifically designed and optimized for breathable waterproof fabrics.
Nikwax Tech Wash is a highly effective cleaner. Additionally it will revitalize existing Durable Water Repellency (DWR) and revive breathability. It is the safe way to thoroughly clean your waterproof clothing and equipment.
Nikwax Softshell Proof Wash-In has been specifically designed and optimized for breathable soft shell garments; it leaves a flexible water repellent treatment on individual fibers allowing moisture vapor to pass through, maintaining breathability Also, as the need for tumble drying is removed, this saves energy and protects more vulnerable, older, garments from heat.
Application in a washing machine is quick, easy, and ensures that the whole garment is thoroughly cleaned and waterproofed..
Use Nikwax Tech Wash in a washing machine…
Use undiluted Tech Wash® and a sponge, or soft nylon brush, to treat stubborn stains before washing. Remove all non-washable parts. Shake well before use. Follow garment care label instructions. Do not use detergents.
Top Loading Machine Wash:
- Place maximum 6 garments in washing machine.
- After the machine has filled, 5fl oz (150ml) for 1-3 garmetnts, 8fl oz (250ml) for 4-6 garments. Add an additional 1.5fl oz (50ml) for hard water* areas.
- Set cycle according to care label instructions. 1-3 items: low water level, 4-6 items: medium water level.
Front Loading Machine Wash:
- Remove all detergent from detergent dispenser.
- Place maximum of 2 garments in washing machine.
- Add 3fl oz (100ml) of Tech Wash of Tech Wash®. Add an additional 1.5fl oz (50ml) for hard water* areas.
- Set cycle to Synthetics and Warm Remove 30oC.
* If you have calcium and mineral deposits in your washing machine you have hard water.
Nikwax Tech Wash® can also be applied by hand...
- Immerse item(s) in 6L hand-hot water in sink or bowl.
- Use 5floz/150ml in medium/hard water* areas and 3floz/100ml in soft water areas for 1-2 items.
- Rinse 3 times in clean water.
Use Nikwax Softshell Proof in a washing machine…
For best results remove all non-washable parts. Always clean item(s) first with Nikwax Tech Wash® in a separate wash cycle. No need to dry item(s) before waterproofing. Shake well before use. Follow garment care label instructions.
Top Loading Machine Wash:
- Place maximum of 3 garments in washing machine.
- After the machine has filled add 10fl oz (300ml) of SoftShell® Proof.
- Set cycle according to care label instructions, Low water level.
Front Loading Machine Wash:
- Remove all detergent build-up from the detergent dispenser.
- Place maximum of 2 clean garments in washing machine.
- Add 3fl oz (100ml) of SoftShell® Proof per garment.
- Run cycle according to care label instructions.
To maintain waterproofing always wash with Nikwax Tech Wash®. Do not use detergents.
Nikwax Softshell Proof can also be applied by hand…
- Immerse 1 clean garment in 6L of hand-hot water in a bowl or sink.
- Add 100ml of SoftShell Proof™.
- Agitate to mix, leave to soak for 5-10 minutes, then agitate thoroughly.
- Rinse with cold water until water runs clear.
Nikwax SoftShell Proof™ treated clothing needs no heat to develop Durable Water Repellency (DWR)…
Air dry or tumble dry on a low setting if care label allows.